Life & Journey
We are looking for graduates who want a career in the law and are inspired by the different approach that Gateley is taking as a legal and professional services group.
As a trainee you will:
- Experience four six-month seat rotations across a variety of legal practice areas
- Gain opportunities to work directly with clients allowing you to build your practical legal knowledge, communication, client-care skills and an understanding of the markets within which our clients operate.
- Be supervised and mentored by highly experienced solicitors.
- Receive a personalised training schedule to give you the skills and experiences you need for life as a qualified solicitor.
- Study Professional Skills Courses to become an excellent well-rounded solicitor.
- Be part of the Gateley Social Committee so that you can get to know your colleagues in your office.
- Be invited to be part of your local Law Society trainee solicitor group so that you can get to know your peers at other legal practices.
- Attend university law fairs to inspire our future trainees!
Key dates & fairs
Find us at any of the below university law fairs during the autumn to discuss life as a trainee solicitor at Gateley.
Our current trainees will be there, along with representatives from the graduate recruitment team, to answer all of your questions.
|University of Law London Moorgate||4 September|
|University of Manchester||8 October|
|University of Surrey (Guildford)||9 October|
|University of Leicester||10 October|
|University of Leeds||17 October|
|University of Nottingham||21 October|
|University of Warwick||22 October|
|University of Reading||30 October|
|University of Birmingham||13 November|
|Durham University||20 November|
|Keele University||20 November|
University of Lancaster
It is important that we are the right fit for each other so we select our trainee solicitors through Summer Vacation Placements which take place in June and July each year.
Open to second-year law students, third/final-year non-law students and postgrads our Summer Vacation Placements last two-weeks. At the end of the two-week scheme, you will know if you have been offered a trainee position.
What do we look for in a trainee?
- Strong academics
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
How do I apply for a Summer Vacation Placement?
- You can apply to join a Summer Vacation Placement in the November before the June/ July scheme the following year.
- We review all online applications between December and February.
- Successful applicants are invited to attend a half-day assessment with us in March/April where you will get the opportunity to see our offices and meet lots of our people.
- If it’s a yes following our assessments, we will invite you to attend one of our SVPs – this will be a great way to find out if we are the right fit for each other.
What will your Summer Vacation Placement be like?
During your Summer Vacation Placement you will:
- Experience what it will be like training with us and provide a real insight into a future career in law.
- Work alongside market recognised legal experts.
- Be part of one of our legal teams performing duties similar to those of a trainee and have significant involvement in day-to-day departmental work.
- Be invited to join us on any social events during your placement.
Here’s what Poppy Wilkinson, former SVP student, had to say:
“As an SVP student you are involved in a variety of areas of work. During my two weeks at the company, I was involved in drafting and amending legal documents, attending meetings with clients, taking attendance notes and researching legal issues. These were passed to me not only by my supervisor, but others in the department who were keen to get me involved."