Training contract and SVP applications
To apply for a 2018 summer vacation placement and a 2020 training contract, please complete our online graduate application form.
View our Graduate brochure online – Graduate Graduate Recruitment Brochure 2017/18
As of the 1 November 2017, we will be taking applications for a place on our 2018 SVP scheme and our 2020 training contract.
Minimum criteria to apply for a training contract is:
- 2 A’s and a B at A level (or equivalent) excluding general studies
- to have (or expect to obtain) at least a 2:1 honours degree
- to have held some form of responsibility in sixth year, college or university
Summer vacation placements (SVP)
We will also be running two, two week vacation schemes next year. The deadline for the summer vacation scheme is 12 February 2018.
Gateley offers a structured scheme for second year law students or third/final year non-law students interested in applying for a training contract with us. We also invite applications from postgraduate candidates. Our scheme reflects the format of Gateley’s training contracts. The aim is to offer candidates a snapshot of training with us.
As an SVP student, you will be part of one of our contentious or non-contentious teams and performing duties similar to those of a trainee and have as much involvement in the day-to-day departmental work.
The Gateley work experience is not confined to work. Gateley has an enjoyable office environment and our teams are relaxed and friendly. Importantly, we socialise together on a regular basis. Our SVP students are encouraged to join us on these occasions.
Placements with Gateley have proved to be highly popular and we recommend that you apply as soon as possible. To maximise your chances of being successful, please provide us with detailed information on your educational achievements, previous work experience and extracurricular activities. As is the case with training contract candidates, we want to hear from quick thinking, commercially-minded individuals with strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills.
Joint training contract and SVP application process
- Stage 1 – Submission of an online application form by closing date of 13 February 2018
- Stage 2 – Telephone or online assessment interview for selected candidates.
- Stage 3 – Half day assessments at our Birmingham Office for selected candidates.
- Stage 4 – 2 Week summer vacation placements for selected candidates. Successful candidates will be notified and places are allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
- Stage 5 – Participants in the SVP scheme will be considered for training contracts during the placement.
- Stage 6 – We expect to make offers of training contracts to successful candidates on or after 1 September 2018.
Please note, we will select our future trainees from those individuals on our vacation scheme. If you would like to secure a training contract, you will need to secure a place on a vacation scheme with us.