Catriona leads the national Private Wealth & Family team at Gateley. She is a trusted legal and tax advisor, working closely with individuals and families to provide solutions to their high value and complex wealth planning and protection objectives.
Catriona advises a range of clients and acts for families across the generations in planning for and preserving their wealth.
Examples of the work she directly undertakes with her team includes:
- preparing wills and lifetime trusts
- advising business owners on pre-sale wealth protection planning
- implementing and advising on Family Investment Companies
- assisting clients with fulfilling their philanthropic objectives through charitable trusts
- acting as a professional trustee, attorney and deputy (in high value, complex cases)
- advising on powers of attorney and acting as a professional attorney and deputy
- providing tax advice for individuals with a particular focus on capital taxes
- providing trust administration, including preparation of tax returns and all HMRC reporting.
This list is by no means exhaustive but gives a flavour of the full service we offer our clients when it comes to managing and planning around their wealth.
How do you help clients?
I work closely with my clients to provide solutions to their personal tax and estate planning needs.
Many of my clients are business owners and entrepreneurs and, regardless of which stage of the cycle their business is at, I help them navigate the most suitable options available to them to preserve their wealth.
I encourage early discussions about future exit, so that the valuable tax reliefs (in particular inheritance tax and capital gains tax) that are available whilst wealth is held in qualifying business assets can be maximised. Strategies pre-sale of a business are often through the use of trust structures that provide maximum long-term protection and flexibility for beneficiaries.
Where we are looking at planning post sale, I help clients look at the benefits and implementation of Family Investment Companies.
- Advising clients ahead of business sales/exits to maximise their personal tax planning opportunities
- Advising clients establishing Family Investment Companies.
- Advising trustees and beneficiaries in complex trust disputes.
- Advising individuals and business owners on maximising protection of assets on death though wills and lifetime settlements.
- Advising non-domiciled clients with assets in several jurisdictions in relation to their estate planning.