George is a leader in the fields of residential development, urban regeneration and urban extensions. He is also a Director of Gateley Plc and a member of the Gateley Group Strategic Board.
George has specialised in acting for housebuilders on large scale residential developments, regeneration schemes, urban extensions and residential-led mixed use schemes nationwide for over 15 years.
His work includes strategic option structures and long term urban regeneration schemes, multi developer collaboration agreements and strategic urban extensions. Alongside his experience in major site acquisition George has also advised several national housebuilders at a board room level in relation to recent developments within the industry covering issues as wide ranging as the future of leasehold development structures, supporting responses to investigations from the CMA and providing support in respect of responses to the Parliamentary Select Committee investigating leasehold housing.
How do you help clients?
I see my role as supporting clients where there are particularly tricky or large scale development sites. I want each of my clients to feel that each transaction is as important to me as it is to them. I bring a solution focussed approach to large scale development schemes ensuring that client’s objectives are met and that risk / reward is balanced and clearly understood.
The element of my client facing role which I find the most satisfying is overcoming barriers that unlock development sites. There is nothing quite like getting a difficult deal over the line and the client confirming that it wouldn’t have happened without you!
- Acting for Taylor Wimpey in relation to the initial advice, inception and execution of their Ground Rent Review Assistance Scheme
- Acting for a national housebuilder in relation to a significant multi-party development scheme in North East England for approximately 1000 new homes where land had to be drawn down under two separate option agreements, land swap arrangements put in place and a collaboration agreement with two other housebuilders who also concluded land transactions at the same time.
- Acting for a national housebuilder in relation to a major development scheme in Yorkshire for approximately 2,500 new homes where land has been drawn down over a period of five years under four separate strategic option agreements. Including dealing with the sub-sale of serviced land parcels to other housebuilders and commercial operators and dealing with the legal work required to deliver a major relief road which enabled the development to be brought forward.
- Acting for a national housebuilder in relation to a major development scheme in North Yorkshire for approximately 1,200 new homes where various historic option agreements had to be re-negotiated into a single global agreement to facilitate land drawdown when required. Alongside the renegotiation of the option agreements there were also grant funding arrangements for the major infrastructure which had to be completed simultaneously with the purchase of the first parcel, a bridge to be constructed over a railway line and a collaboration agreement with another national housebuilder to regularise the site sharing arrangements.
- Advising Bellway Homes Limited at a head office level in relation to responses to various specific governmental enquiries and their general approach to leasehold developments