Gerard has over 30 years’ experience as a lawyer, mediator and conciliator specialising in commercial dispute avoidance, management and resolution. Gerard spent 12 years at an international law firm and 12 years at a city law firm before joining Gateley in 2012.
He is experienced in a broad range of commercial disputes in several industry sectors, such as: engineering, construction, property, chemicals, food, housing development, education and sport.
He is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution whether traditional (such as litigation or arbitration) or more modern techniques (such as mediation, ENE, expert or judicial determination or appraisal).
Gerard has many years’ experience of acting for major corporates such as Kellogg, Mitsubishi, RAC, Mercedes, Petroplus, Molson Coors, Honeywell, The Australian Trade Commission, Royal London, The Football Association, Persimmon Plc, Taylor Wimpey, Bellway Plc and St George Developments Limited.
He also acts for property developers in proceedings ranging from civil regulatory claims to disputes with contractors, agents, local authorities, insurers, claims consultants and customers (including dealing with group actions).
Gerard is recognised as one of the leading mediators in the UK. He sits on the mediator panel of the Court of Appeal (Civil Division).
Consistent client praise for continued excellence led to Gerard being inducted into ‘The Legal 500 Hall of Fame’ for Mediators in 2018:
- The Court of Appeal (Civil Division)
- CEDR Solve;
- The ADR Group;
- Sport Resolutions (UK);
- The Pensions Advisory Service;
- International Mediation Institute (IMI);
- Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA); and
- Association of Northern Mediators
Gerard has acted as lead mediator in a broad range of disputes in the following areas: company commercial/ contractual, sport, employment, healthcare, pensions, tax, HR, insurance, professional negligence, construction, engineering, property/ land, medical negligence, personal injury, information technology and education.
Recent mediations involved parties from the UK, Australia, France, Ireland, Denmark, USA and Germany. Gerard was appointed in 2010 to deal with the first ever mediation held by the OIA.
How do you help clients?
I enjoy helping clients to enforce or defend legal rights and obligations and to manage, pursue or defend civil claims for damages for breach of contract, negligence, breach of statutory duty or damages for breach of warranty.
- Advising a Plc in defending a group action in the Technology & Construction Court in London for damages of £3.2m.
- Advising on a complex Court of Appeal dispute with a value of over £1m between a land agent in London and a Plc over the introduction of land, which had a successful outcome.
- Defending a UK civil regulatory action involving accusations of a significant UK data protection breach for a UK Plc involving threats of a major criminal prosecution and civil group action.
- Acting as mediator on a £12m contract dispute involving an NHS procurement contract in London. This involved two world famous hospitals.