Mailin is a highly experienced commercial lawyer, specialising in copyright, digital, data and media. Her work includes advising clients on a variety of commercial matters which pivot around the exploitation of intellectual property rights and digital products and services, as well as IT-related transactions.
She works with clients ranging from start-ups to established global businesses, working across a variety of sectors, including digital, media and technology as well as other clients that are digitally developing their businesses (e.g. in the automotive and retail sectors).
Mailin’s strong commercial outlook has been gained through working in-house as well as in private practice with a proven record of delivering clear, solutions-orientated advice. Her in-house experience includes working for a number of Pearson owned companies, including the Financial Times, Pearson Broadband and Penguin Television.
A broad overview of her work includes advising in connection with:
- the development and production of intellectual property, as well as its acquisition, protection and exploitation
- the development and sale of digital products and services (including data, e-books, games, audio magazines and in-App payment systems) via a variety of platforms, including e-tail, marketplace and crowdfunder sites
- the build of platforms and Apps, using both agile and waterfall methodologies, as well as their ongoing support and maintenance
- digital collaborations and alliances, including commercial joint ventures
- merchandising and sponsorship agreements (including involving the distribution of live event recordings over Vevo, Facebook and other social media channels)
- the licensing of a variety of software (e.g. SaaS and augmented reality software).
- Advising an award winning design and architectural practice in connection with a number of its projects, including the Museum of London at West Smithfield and installations for high profile brands worldwide, including for the London and Sochi Olympics and for the City of Melbourne.
- Advising an entrepreneurial technology company in connection with a six party consortium for the development of a prototype of a revolutionary e-commerce delivery system.
- Advising the owner and worldwide manager of intellectual property created by and associated with the world’s leading authority in the field of creative and conceptual thinking, Dr Edward de Bono on a variety of rights and licensing issues.
- Advising the artificial intelligence team of global technology company on intellectual property issues in connection with its developments.
- Advising on the build of platforms for Pottermore.com (the digital home of Harry Potter), Macmillan’s e-learning platform and Apps developed for Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s KEO Films.