Rustam helps businesses with complex contract negotiations, by dealing with legal risk in a commercially and operationally pragmatic manner. The contract is only the beginning of a commercial relationship and it is Rustam's job to make sure that the contract reflects reality and intent.
Rustam has a particular expertise in the software industry, where he has also worked in-house in senior management positions, as well as with data protection.
In addition to legal work itself, Rustam is heavily interested in the evolution of legal service delivery using technology – something I am involved with at Gateley.
Rustam has worked at regional firms, in-house and as a consultant running my own business and this varied experience has made me an experienced business advisor.
How do you help clients?
I spend time understanding my clients’ business model.
I help identify legal risk in a particular transaction or operating model.
I work with my clients to identify pragmatic solution (in a contract or operationally) to mitigate risk.
I conduct negotiations in a cooperative manner, seeking to ensure that the contract terms are an accurate reflection of risk and that the contract enables each side to conduct a profitable business relationship.
- Drafted a set of market-standard and operationally realistic contract documents for a leading provider of IT services to the charities sector.
- Project-managed a GDPR compliance program for a software services company, from conducting data audits to drafting compliance collateral, working closely with the board and all departments.
- Delivered “managed legal service" operations, including managing a team of junior lawyers.
- Advised a major broadcaster in relation to an ERP outsourcing transaction with Oracle and SAP.
- Helped negotiate and close a strategic outsourcing deal for one of the UK’s biggest utility companies.