Stephen specialises in both contentious and non-contentious construction law acting for a broad range of clients including employers, financial institutions, sub-contractors and professional consultants. Stephen’s contentious experience includes High Court litigation, adjudications and mediation as well as less formal methods of dispute resolution. As well as dealing with contentious and non-contentious construction work, Stephen advises sureties on bonds and indemnities, together with claims in connection with underlying construction contracts.
Upon qualification, Stephen spent six months on secondment at Manchester City Football Club where he assisted on commercial and construction contracts.
- Conducting a successful adjudication claim regarding a valid payment application on behalf of a contractor regarding a JCT design and build contract.
- Assisting in successfully bringing and settling a claim on behalf of a surety against a high net worth individual. The underlying claim was a complex personal guarantee claim.
- Successfully negotiating a specialised warehousing project under a JCT design and build contract.
- Procuring an early commercial settlement between a surety and a beneficiary under a bond which was facing a full bond claim upon completion.
- Assisting a successful defence of a substantial negligence/ breach of a claim brought by a landowner against a contractor for the construction of a residential home for a high net worth individual.