Stephen advises trustees and employers of occupational pension schemes on their duties and responsibilities relating to all aspects of pensions law. His experience in this area includes advising on the interpretation of scheme documentation and overriding legislation as well as the resolution of disputes and implementing changes to benefit structures. He works with a wide range of schemes and also advises businesses on the pensions aspects arising from corporate transactions and restructurings.
Stephen’s work has a particular focus on scheme governance and regulatory compliance. He leads Entrust’s internal governance regime and risk management framework and liaises annually with external auditors to ensure compliance with the standards required of independent professional trustees. Stephen is a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
- Advising trustees in claims brought to the Pensions Ombudsman.
- Drafting a wide range of governance policies for schemes to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with complex regulatory requirements.
- Advising the trustees of a large trade union’s pension scheme on a full consolidation of the scheme’s governing documentation.
- Drafting documentation to implement liability management options.
- Negotiating long-term funding plans with scheme employers.