Gateley Legal is the legal business at the heart of Gateley. Founded in Birmingham in 1808, we have provided commercial legal services to individuals and businesses over the last 200 years.
During that time, we have disrupted the legal marketplace; 30 years ago Birmingham’s legal market was dominated by some established players, a ‘legal elite’. Gateley were viewed as the ‘new kids on the block’.
The Gateley leadership team made it their mission to be involved in everything, getting involved in lots of corporate dealmaking, building commercial relationships within the professional community and doing things differently. The work that they did then has laid the foundations for the business that we are today.
We are proud that the clients and intermediaries that we worked with in our early days continue to play an important role in our business today, and we hope for many years to come. That disruptive attitude continues; in 2015 Gateley was the first commercial UK law firm to list on the London Stock Exchange’s Alternative Investment Market (AIM). Now, several years down the line, other law firms have followed our lead. As is so often said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Gateley operates from 25 offices in 20 locations including offices in major commercial hubs across the UK and two international offices in Dubai and Hong Kong. Providing excellent client service to individuals and businesses is fundamental to our ethos of being forward thinking and straight talking.
How Gateley Legal helps clients
Gateley Legal is in the business of ‘getting the job done’.
- We are consistently among the most active corporate legal advisers in the UK so we know what it takes to get a corporate deal done.
- We work with 18 of the UK’s top 20 housebuilders so we know how to buy, sell and develop property.
- We are advisers to 5 of the UK’s 6 largest clearing banks and regularly help lenders and borrowers with all aspects of funding.
- We have advised on some of the highest profile restructuring deals in recent years.
- We resolve commercial disputes in a straightforward and commercially sensible way.
- We manage all aspects of the employer/ employee relationship for businesses of all sizes, from the up-and-comers to the big hitters.
Got a question? Get in touch.
Gateley Plc is authorised and regulated by the SRA (Solicitors’ Regulation Authority). Please visit the SRA website for details of the professional conduct rules which Gateley Legal must comply with.
The SRA published price transparency rules for all regulated legal businesses in England and Wales in June 2018 which was approved by the Legal Standards Board in August 2018. The guidance identified a number of areas where solicitors should disclose pricing and service across a number of common services.