Evidence suggests that leadership pipelines are more unstable than ever. A worrying 58% of organisations report a significant shortage of leaders for key positions and almost a third are unsure that their leaders have the skills required to take the business forwards.
A sound understanding of leadership potential is critical to strengthening leadership pipelines, which means understanding:
• The key components that predict leadership potential
• How can we identify potential reliably?
• How do we enable individuals to fulfil their potential?
But this is no easy feat; potential is perhaps the most complex issue facing HR and Talent professionals. HR and Talent professionals in a range of leading organisations report lack of confidence in talent pipelines and continued uncertainty over how to reliably identify potential as the biggest ongoing talent challenges.
Solving the Puzzle of Leadership Potential
Get our Fixing talent pipelines playbook
In this ebook, we explore four common shortcomings of current approaches to identifying and developing potential:
- Equating current (or past) high performance with future capability
- Allowing biases, stereotypes and assumptions to determine high potential talent pools
- Neglecting the impact of context
- Failing to support individuals to fulfil their potential