Steve is a Chartered Surveyor and RICS Registered Valuer, working in the compulsory purchase team. He provides advice to both acquiring authorities and claimants in connection with a variety of major infrastructure projects, including major airport, road and rail schemes as well as local authority regeneration schemes. This includes providing strategic advice and property cost estimates to acquiring authorities and managing the preparation, negotiation and resolution of compensation claims on behalf of both acquiring authorities and affected landowners.
Prior to joining Gateley Hamer he gained experience in compulsory purchase and compensation issues whilst working for the Transport and Infrastructure team of the District Valuer Services at the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). During this time he advised scheme promotors on compulsory purchase related matters in connection with major road infrastructure schemes in the Staffordshire area. This included providing a lands cost estimate for the acquiring authority and assisting with the negotiation of compensation claims with affected landowners.
Steve is experienced in providing valuations and advice in respect of taxes such as inheritance tax, capital gains tax and business rates. While working for the District Valuer Services at the VOA, Steve provided valuations and advice to public sector clients for a variety of other purposes such as compulsory purchase, rent review and acquisition. He has also provided rental valuations and advice to NHS England in respect of health centres and surgeries for the doctors rent reimbursement scheme.
He also has extensive experience as a commercial valuer, having provided Red Book valuation reports for secured lending purposes valuing commercial properties in the Staffordshire, Cheshire, Shropshire and Derbyshire regions.
- Acting for Birmingham City Council in relation to the Commonwealth Games 2022 scheme, providing strategic and compulsory purchase advice to the Council and managing the acquisition of land required for the scheme.
- Advising a number of businesses in Birmingham affected by phase one of the HS2 rail project, including advising businesses on compulsory purchase procedures and compensation entitlement and managing the compilation, negotiation and settlement of compensation claims on their behalf.
- Advising on the Midland Metro Birmingham City Centre extension, acting for claimants affected by the extension of the tramway in Birmingham City Centre, including compiling and negotiating compensation claims on their behalf.
- Advising on the runway extension scheme at a national airport, providing an assessment of the likely liability for Part 1 claims under the Land Compensation Act 1973, assessing the likely impact the runway extension would have on the value of properties in the surrounding area.
- Advising the scheme promotors Staffordshire County Council and Highways England on the A50 growth corridor road scheme, aimed at cutting congestion on the A50 trunk road at Uttoxeter in Staffordshire and stimulating economic growth and development in the region. Assisting with the assessment of compensation claims resulting from the proposed scheme and negotiations for acquiring land by agreement prior to the making of the compulsory purchase order. Steve also worked as part of a small team preparing a lands cost estimate for the scheme promotors. (Experience gained in a previous role.)