Gavin is a specialist commercial litigator with many years of experience handling disputes of all varieties and sizes, including high value and complex claims. He has a wide and varied experience of managing commercial and contractual disputes, negligence actions (including professional negligence matters), and property litigation.
Gavin has a particular expertise in all forms of property litigation. He acts for landlords and tenants in disputes involving dilapidations, service charge, the validity of break notices, rent review and lease renewal and other landlord and tenant disputes including possession and forfeiture.
How do you help clients?
I help property owners, occupiers, developers, investors and management companies resolve every imaginable type of property-related dispute. I focus on pre-action advice with the aim of resolving a dispute without the necessity of court proceedings. I actively encourage and engage in mediation and other methods of alternative dispute resolution to get results for my clients. I am very experienced in bringing and defending proceedings in the County Court and High Court and am regularly involved in making and defending applications to the court for urgent remedies.
- Acting for a FTSE 250 business in a multi-million pound High Court dispute relating to lift failures and outdated fire safety equipment in a central London skyscraper. The £20m claim concerned the landlord’s failure to provide adequate mechanical services over a number of years.
- Advising the principal developer of a 1,000 acre site in the South of England that has been earmarked for the development of a garden village in a dispute with an electricity distributor concerning the removal of overhead 132 kV electric lines and associated electricity apparatus from the development site.
- Acting for a national housebuilder over the contested valuation of a large parcel of development land (and the related costs of infrastructure) in the South East of England.
- Advising the owner and operator of a hotel complex including bars and restaurants defending interrelated high value claims for wrongful interference with goods, conversion and conspiracy.
- Successfully pursuing former employees of a Plc client who used sophisticated data extraction software to take, retain and make use of extensive electronic spreadsheets derived from the client’s customer database.