Nick specialises in litigation and arbitration relating to shipping and international trade. He speaks fluent French and is a correspondent member of the French Maritime Law Association (AFDM).
Nick’s experience and expertise includes commodity trading disputes, especially under Gafta and FOSFA terms and oil trading contracts, cargo claims, disputes under charterparties, bills of lading, general average, MOAs and shipbuilding contracts.
Lloyd’s List named him as one of their top 10 UK maritime lawyers in 2017.
How do you help clients?
I help international shipping and trading businesses to find cost-effective solutions to contractual disputes, preferably by negotiation or if necessary by pursuing or defending claims in Court or Arbitration.
- Acting for the successful party in Fulton Shipping v Globalia  (a leading decision of the UK Supreme Court on damages for repudiation of time charter).
- Representing cargo interests in Verity Shipping v Norexa  1 Lloyd’s Rep 652 (successful challenge to anti-suit injunction).
- Advising on Soufflet Negoce v Bunge  (Court of Appeal decision on readiness of vessel under FOB sale contract).
- Handling various maritime arbitrations relating to charterparty disputes on behalf of shipowners or charterers.
- Handling commodity trading arbitrations under trade association rules (Gafta, FOSFA and others) relating to international commodity sale contracts.