Since qualifying in 1999 Piet has specialised in advising clients in the construction and engineering sectors. He has also developed particular expertise in advising clients in the renewable energy sector, and is also skilled in resolving commercial disputes.
Piet advises on the whole lifecycle of projects, including managing compliance with the Public Contracts Regulations and State Aid Regulations.
Piet has detailed working knowledge of drafting, amending, negotiating and litigating JCT, ICE, NEC2/3/4, IChemE Red/Green Book, IEE MF/1, FIDIC, GC/Works and PPC 2000 contracts as well as producing framework series of documents for numerous projects including retail parks, hotels, surgeries, academies and office accommodation. This expertise also extends to the drafting and negotiation of contracts for wind turbine and anaerobic digester plant installations, in respect of which Piet has developed a specially adapted set of NEC3 contracts to allow projects to be implemented quickly and efficiently.
Piet has been involved with many engineering projects outside the renewables sector including nuclear waste plants, process engineering plants, sequence batch reactors and waste to energy plants.
Piet is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and holds an MSc in Construction Law & Arbitration. He has acted on substantial disputes in the Technology & Construction Court and in international and domestic arbitration. Piet also has expert knowledge of the Housing Grants and Construction Regeneration Act including recent amendments. He is an experienced practitioner in adjudication and a keen proponent of mediation.
- Obtaining the enforcement of adjudication decision for Universal Group against Galliford Try.
- Obtaining the enforcement of adjudication decision for Bernhard’s Sports Surfaces against Astrosoccer 4 U.
- Completing a multi-million dollar engineering contract for the supply of a Submarine Rescue System to the Vietnamese Navy.
- Completing the construction contract for Mattioli Woods Plc’s headquarters in Leicester.
- Completing the construction contract for The White Company’s headquarters in the former BBC Television Centre in London.