Our Academy for Housebuilders is a free interactive programme made up of four individual, workshop-style modules delivered in person in three locations.
Hosted by our residential development specialists, the Academy takes place over 1 year and follows the ‘lifecycle’ of a residential development site, guiding delegates through the legal process of buying and setting up land through to dealing with infrastructure and plot sales, in easy and practical terms.
This is a dedicated offering to our clients and we welcome all staff in their land, planning and technical teams but find that graduate recruits and those team members who are in the first few years of their career find the ‘back to basics’ overview that the Academy provides most useful.
What is covered?
Module 1: Pre-exchange and Due Diligence
- Heads of terms: get the legals right and moving quickly
- Debunking title jargon: what exactly are easements and covenants?
- Title, searches and enquiries: why do they matter?
Module 2: Contracting to Acquire
- Contracts masterclass: simple legal tips to get ahead
- Why strategic land is different: Options, Promotion Agreements and Collaboration Agreements
- Options vs Promotion Agreements: how to persuade the landowner to go with you
Module 3: Exchange and Completion
- Exchange of contracts: sealing the deal
- Transfers: buying the land you want, how you want it
- Preparing for completion: getting your ducks in a row
Module 4: Post-Completion and Plot Sales
- Demystifying the plot sales process: why you should care about the UK Finance Mortgage Lenders’ Handbook
- How to speed up your plot sales: keep your sales director happy
- Exiting your scheme: infrastructure, Affordable Housing sales and management arrangements