Andrew is an expert in advising on corporate and banking transactions and is regularly involved in complex structured finance and corporate lending deals, including leveraged buy-outs, project finance and restructuring.
Andrew’s clients include many of the leading banks and financial institutions operating in the UK, as well as private equity investors and corporate borrowers. Andrew is responsible for managing many of Gateley’s national bank panel appointments. He also acts on ABL transactions, cross-border and syndicated lending.
Having educated at University of Birmingham (LLB) and College of Law, Chester (Solicitors Finals Examination, second-class Hons), Andrew qualified in 1987. He has been a partner at Gateley Plc since 1996. Outside of Gateley, Andrew has served as a non-executive director of a national health service trust and governor of one of the country’s leading further education colleges.
Consistent client praise for continued excellence led to Andrew being inducted into 'The Legal 500 Hall of Fame' in 2018.
How do you help clients?
I help businesses access the funding to enable them to grow. A key part of our approach is to focus on the purpose for which the funding is required and take time to understand how the underlying business works. That way we can apply our skills to ensure the best possible fit between the funder and its customer and ensure funding is provided as safely as possible.
Funding and security documents have become extremely complex, often running into hundreds of pages. I seek to make these accessible to our clients, translating the jargon and focusing attention on the issues to be resolved, how the funding will affect the business and identify its key risks. Because I act for lenders and borrowers and, year in, year out, we work on more deals than any other regional law firm, I have an understanding of what matters.
I enjoy working collaboratively with funders and their customers to deliver on projects and take enormous pride in being able to complete a deal.
- Advising LDC on the £22.5m management buy-out of Precision Micro Limited from Meggitt Plc sponsored by LDC. Andrew advised on the facility and associated funding documents in connection with the term loan and working capital facilities provided by HSBC UK Bank Plc and loan note funding by LDC.
- Advising Clydesdale Yorkshire Bank on its funding to support the acquisition of Orbis Protect Limited by NorthEdge. Andrew advised Clydesdale Yorkshire Bank in connection with the provision of term loan and working capital facilities to Orbis Protect in connection with the transaction.
- Advising Shard Credit Partners on its first transaction, the refinancing and acquisition finance facilities provided to SKS Business Services. This was the first transaction for the newly created fund and involved the creation of template product documentation alongside the transaction. We also advised Shard on two further funding transactions which completed on the same day, one of which was named as deal of the month by Insider North.
- Advising Maven Debt Finance in preparing the documentation for the £250m Midlands Engine Investment Finance (MEIF) debt fund. This makes available funding of between £250,000 and £1.5m to Midlands’ based SME businesses. Gateley created a suite of template documents that enables MEIF to lend funds on standardised terms on a speedy and cost-effective basis. Andrew now manages a team involved in documenting individual loan transactions and we have advised on all of lending transactions completed to date.
- Advising RBS in connection with the provision of facilities to Northbridge Industrial Services, a listed industrial services and rental company based in the East Midlands.