Matt specialises in all aspects of recovery, restructuring, turnaround and insolvency work. He has extensive experience of advising businesses facing any kind of financial challenge on the options available to them, as well as providing advice to directors on their personal duties.
Matt also advises insolvency practitioners and fixed charge receivers on formal appointments, as well as secured and unsecured lenders and creditors. Matt has a particular specialism in real estate restructuring work.
Matt has previously undertaken secondments with Clydesdale Bank’s SBS team, National Australia Bank’s CRE team and Royal Bank of Scotland’s AIM team and has a good working knowledge of lenders’ internal processes, procedures and requirements.
Matt is also a member of the Institute for Turnaround’s North-East committee.
- Advising a secured lender on a strategy to de-gear and restructure a secured portfolio of agricultural property and assets across multiple farming sites. The strategy utilised a combination of administration, agricultural receivership and fixed-charge receivership to successfully facilitate a solvent refinance of the core business.
- Advising a private equity turnaround specialist in the acquisition of the business and assets of a high profile national retailer through an accelerated M&A process, which included the transfer and preservation of 800 jobs across 70 sites.
- Advising a national accountancy firm in the trading administrations of a group of hotels, pubs and restaurants at the height of the Covid pandemic.
- Advising the supervisors of a company voluntary arrangement in the successful restructuring of a television shopping channel.
- Advising a director in responding to and settling a significant high value personal claim brought following the insolvency of his business.