James is an expert in investment transactions and landlord and tenant matters.
He leads a team who act for London-based and regional funds and advises on acquisitions, disposals and asset management work over a wide range of UK assets.
James has advised on over £100m of property acquisitions and disposals over the past year, including complex conditional purchases and time critical transactions where clients were able to secure a commercial advantage by contracts being exchanged within a few days of instruction.
He also acts for national retailers and corporate occupiers providing a wide range of strategic and operational advice in relation to their property portfolios.
James has considerable experience in acting on large and complex commercial pre-lets and new builds, including acting on the largest warehouse letting in the Midlands in 2015.
He is contract manager for a large financial institution, having been appointed to advise across their real estate portfolio across the UK (including Scotland and Northern Ireland) and having won an exclusive contract for the work by competitive tender.
He is a director of both of Gateley’s property acquisitions, Gateley Hamer, specialists in compulsory purchase orders and utilities compensation, and Gateley Capitus, our capital allowances and financial incentives practice.
How do you help clients?
Once my client has gone through the hard work of getting a deal agreed, it’s my job to deliver that deal, finding solutions to issues that crop up along the way.
I see my role as identifying risks and using my experience and commercial and legal nous to ascertain solutions to those risks to allow the deal to go ahead – which is often possible through a mixture of lateral thinking, sensible negotiation and sometimes insurance products. It’s rare that with the right attitude and that we can't find a way to make the deal happen.
It’s frustrating when clients can’t get in touch with their lawyer and I go out of my way to ensure that I – and my wider team – are contactable by my clients directly when required. We are as happy to communicate by phone or face-to-face as by email.
- Acting for a major financial institution with a substantial property portfolio across the UK (including Scotland and Northern Ireland) on all property management work, on an exclusive appointment basis won via a competitive tender.
- Advising Avignon Capital on its rolling investment programme into expansion of an independent cinema chain.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary investment team advising and completing approx. £100m of sales and acquisitions for a new London fund within a 12 month period, many of which were exchanged within five days of instruction.
- Advising several national operators in relation to substantial and complex new build and pre-let warehouse and distribution space, including acting for Wiggle Limited in its acquisition of a 323,000 sq ft warehouse space in 2015, the largest warehouse letting in the Midlands.
- Acting for a number of London fund clients on substantial financing and refinances of their property portfolios to free up capital for further growth.