Richard advises and assists across the full spectrum of planning law, highways law and environmental law. Richard has experience of working in both the public and the private sector having previously worked for two large local authorities in the North West and South Yorkshire.
Richard advises, negotiates and drafts section 106 agreements of varying degrees of difficulty for a variety of housebuilder and private developer clients on sites predominantly based across the North West, North East and Yorkshire – such section 106 agreements typically include affordable housing provision either on-site or off-site contributions in lieu, as well as other financial contributions.
Offering assistance on highways issues, Richard deals with permanent and temporary highway stopping up and/ or diversion orders. He also advises upon, drafts and negotiates highway agreements (section 38 and section 278 Highway Agreements) and section 104 drainage agreements.
Richard assists with Compulsory Purchase Orders and subsequent Certificate of Appropriate Alternative Development applications.
Since working for Gateley Legal, Richard has been involved with Judicial Review and Statutory Challenge Proceedings acting for both claimants and defendants.
Richard advises upon and drafts applications for Certificate of Lawful Use or Development (CLEUD) and Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Use or Development (CLOPUD).
- Assisting as part of the team advising on the Brentford CPO scheme and subsequent Certificate of Appropriate Alternative Development application for multi-million pound compensation for our client.
- Advising on High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings in R (Thornton Hall Hotel Ltd) v Wirral MBC and Thornton Holdings Ltd  on time periods with which to bring a judicial review challenge to a planning permission.
- Advising on High Court challenge proceedings in Crondall Parish Council v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  regarding appropriate assessment following the “People Over Wind” judgement.
- Advising on successful planning appeal in Lancaster following refusal for the conversion of a listed building and creation of student accommodation.
- Negotiating a complex section 106 agreement on a mixed use site in Cheshire East containing viability reappraisal, affordable housing and multiple financial contributions for development comprising of supermarket, retail and over 70 residential units.