Steven is a tax-qualified chartered surveyor. For more than 20 years he has specialised in capital allowances, and more recently land remediation relief and R&D tax incentives. He held senior roles in “Big 4”, specialist boutique and national mid-tier accountancy firms before joining Gateley Capitus.
Steven is a recognised tax incentives expert who writes many of the reference works used by other advisers, including:
- Bloomsbury Professional’s Capital Allowances: Transactions & Planning (including R&D and land remediation tax reliefs/ credits);
- Practical Law Company’s Replying to CPSE.1 Enquiry 32 on Capital Allowances;
- ICAEW Tax Faculty’s TAXGuide Capital Allowances Update;
- RICS’s Guidance Note on Capital Allowances and Land Remediation Relief
- Tolley’s Tax Planning chapter on Capital Allowances & Land Remediation Relief
How do you help clients?
I enjoy helping businesses who buy or build commercial property, or undertake R&D, pay the right amount of tax by optimising the tax reliefs available to them.
My advice is high-added value and pays for itself many times over. It also reduces tax risk by making the most of non-aggressive tax reliefs which are intended by Parliament and accepted as routine and legitimate by HM Revenue.
- Advising on the capital allowances apportionment valuation for the purchase of a £150m high specification office in London.
- Advising on the capital allowances claim for the purchase of several solar farms costing more than £30m.
- Leading the team dealing with the capital allowances for £50m spend on a portfolio of care home purchases, new-builds and refurbishments across the UK.
- Resolving a range of enquiries into capital allowances claims submitted by other non-specialist advisers which had been rejected by HM Revenue and needed to be revisited from first principles.
- Acting as an expert witness (formally to the court) and expert adviser (informally to one of the parties) in several disputes relating to allegedly negligent advice given by other professional advisers about capital allowances matters.