Karen acts for major names in manufacturing, retail, energy, IT & telecoms negotiating, mediating and litigating complex and high value disputes from the pre-action stage through to trials in the High Court and appeals to the Court of Appeal. Karen’s focus is on achieving efficient and cost effective resolutions with as little impact as possible on her clients' businesses. Karen regularly acts for clients involved in contract disputes, post-acquisition warranty and indemnity claims arising out of SPAs, shareholder disputes/ unfair prejudice petitions and claims to enforce employee restrictive covenants.
Karen has a teamwork based approach to litigation and a successful track record in obtaining search orders, freezing injunction orders and other injunctions for her clients on an urgent basis. Since joining Gateley in 2002 Karen has gained an excellent reputation for fighting her clients’ corners hard and well and for obtaining good results including on difficult cases. Karen is known for her can do attitude, her straight and open approach and is recognised for providing an exceptionally high level of service to clients.
- Involved in several successful reported cases including Beckett Investment Management Group Limited & ors v Hall & ors  EWCA Civ 613 – leading authority on the enforcement of employee restrictive covenants.
- Obtained a freezing injunction order to prevent dissipation of company assets in a large scale fraud. The case led to the money being returned.
- Obtained a search order against a former MD who set up a competing company. The case protected shareholder value and the jobs of a number of employees.
- Obtained an injunction to prevent the unlawful transfer of shares. The case led to a share transfer order putting ownership of the company back into client hands.
- Obtained summary judgment for £2.7m deferred consideration payable under an SPA plus legal costs securing for the sellers what was rightfully theirs and depriving the buyer of its fighting fund in associated warranty proceedings. Payment in full recovered. Successfully defended the associated warranty proceedings for over £9m and recovered the clients’ legal costs.