- Location: Birmingham
- Email: Karen Levesley
- Direct Telephone: +44 (0) 121 234 0105
- Direct Fax: +44 (0) 121 234 0027
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7808 776 240
Karen is a litigator in the Commercial Dispute Resolution team.
Karen has over 17 years’ experience acting for major names in manufacturing, retail, energy, IT & telecoms negotiating, mediating and litigating disputes from the pre-action stage through to trials in the High Court and appeals to the Court of Appeal, including acting on cases requiring urgent remedies such as search orders, freezing injunction orders and other injunctions. Karen regularly acts for clients involved in contract disputes, post-acquisition warranty and indemnity claims arising out of SPAs, shareholder disputes/unfair prejudice (s.994) and claims to enforce employee restrictive covenants.
Since joining the firm in 2002, Karen has gained an excellent reputation for fighting her clients’ corners “hard and well” and for obtaining “good results including on difficult cases.” She is known for her “can do attitude” and her “straight and open approach.”
Karen Levesley is “impeccably organised.” – Legal 500 2016
Karen Levesley “has meticulous knowledge of her cases, keeping clients ahead of the curve.” – Legal 500 2018
- Involved in several successful reported cases including Beckett Investment Management Group Limited & ors v Hall & ors  EWCA Civ 613 – leading authority on the enforcement of employee restrictive covenants.
- Obtained a freezing injunction order to prevent dissipation of assets in a large scale fraud committed on Gateley’s client company. The case led to the money being returned.
- Obtained a search order against an ex-MD who set up a competing company in breach of contract and duty. The case preserved shareholder value and protected the jobs of a number of employees in Gateley’s client company.
- Obtaining an injunction to prevent the unlawful transfer of shares. The case led to obtaining a share transfer order putting ownership of the company back into the hands of Gateley’s client.
- Obtained summary judgment for £2.7 million deferred consideration payable under a share purchase agreement, plus costs, securing for Gateley’s clients what was rightfully theirs and depriving the buyer of its “fighting fund” in associated warranty proceedings. Payment in full recovered. Successfully defended the associated warranty proceedings for + £9 million and recovered Gateley’s clients’ legal costs.