Jonathan specialises in commercial litigation and reputation management having practised for many years in a commercial law firm in Belfast.
Jonathan regularly advises on complex and high-value commercial disputes in the following areas: banking and financial services; contractual; business ownership; land and property; insolvency; intellectual property; breaches of restrictive covenants and professional regulatory matters.
In addition, Jonathan’s practice has a focus on reputation management, defamation, privacy and data protection matters.
He is a qualified solicitor in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, England, and Wales and is a qualified mediator and advanced advocate.
What problems do you help clients with?
I provide strategic and pragmatic advice to clients, allowing problems and concerns to be addressed as promptly and cost efficiently as possible. I am a keen and experienced proponent of alternative dispute resolution, particularly mediation.
Where necessary I use my significant experience of court procedures to litigate proactively and effectively to achieve the best possible results for my clients.
- Successfully acting for the appellant in the Northern Ireland Court of Appeal case of Car Park Services Limited -v- Bywater Capital (Winetavern) Limited (2018) NICA 22. Court held CPS benefitted from a leasehold interest in land as opposed to a licence.
- Successfully acting for a local businessman and achieving a high-value settlement arising from a breach of a commercial exclusivity agreement by an international manufacturer.
- Successfully acting for an entrepreneur in restraining a third party from making social media posts which breached our client’s copyright and which were seriously defamatory in nature.
- Successfully acting for a sole trader in recovering substantial damages from a manufacturer arising from defective products fitted in the homes of 500+ customers.
- Successfully obtaining damages for a client arising from a data protection breach by a well-known hotel chain.