Kate specialises in health & safety, environmental matters, white collar crime, Trading Standards, NCA, FCA and SOCA investigations.
Kate is a highly regarded legal director at Gateley and has been with the team for seven years. Kate specialises in defending all types of health & safety cases, environmental investigations, general criminal defence work and financial crime. Kate regularly attends Coroners Courts and Criminal Courts representing businesses and individuals facing all manner of health & safety investigations and prosecutions. Kate is at home in the Criminal Court arena having been a Court Duty Solicitor and accredited Police Station Representative for many years. Kate is able to bring her wealth of experience of general criminal defence work to health & safety/ regulatory investigations, a skillset that is often lacking in regulatory lawyers. Kate is client-focused and proactive, often resolving complex health & safety and regulatory investigations with out of Court disposals securing minimum fuss and limited reputational damage for the client. Clients often comment on Kate’s no-nonsense, practical approach and her insight in being able to anticipate the way in which a regulator will proceed with an investigation and be two steps ahead of them.
Kate is a focused lawyer and her ability to get into the detail of a case makes her unflappable, delivering excellent results every time.
Kate regularly writes blogs, social media posts and articles for health & safety publications.
A word from one of Kate’s clients:
"As a Head Coach, manager and a 'leader' to be suddenly (without any warning) cast to one side and prevented from doing my job (which for most people in my position is more than a job) is one of the worst experiences possible however, as soon as I was in touch with Kate, I felt somebody was on my side and there was light, albeit a very faint light, at the end of the tunnel.
Eventually, we got through it and I am so incredibly grateful for the help, support, encouragement and guidance that Kate and her team gave me and I would have no hesitation in strongly recommending her to any colleague who finds themselves in a similar situation."Sports Head Coach, 2021
- Representing a manufacturing company at a trial at the Old Bailey in relation to serious health & safety charges relating to a high profile fatality; a not guilty verdict was secured following a full jury trial.
- Acting in the immediate aftermath and investigation of a fatality at a theme park and advising the corporate entity throughout the HSE, Police investigation and criminal court proceedings.
- Advising high profile construction companies in connection with alleged local authority planning breaches, environmental pollution issues and breaches of health and safety law.
- Acting for a senior director prosecuted for a complex fraud.
- Acting for various high-profile sports coaches facing governing and national governing bodies safeguarding investigations.