Sofie qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive specialising in family law in December 2011. Sofie joined Gateley in October 2019, having spent the previous 18 years gaining broad experience of private and Legal Aid matters.
Sofie's areas of expertise include:
- Children including child protection, child arrangements orders, prohibited steps orders, specific issue orders, parenting agreements, parental responsibility;
- Matrimonial finances as part of divorce proceedings
- Separation Agreements
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Domestic Abuse including Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders
As a member of Resolution, Sofie is committed to a constructive resolution of family disputes. She follows a Code of Practice that promotes a non-confrontational approach to family breakdowns, encouraging solutions that consider the needs of the whole family, and in particular the best interests of the children.
Sofie qualified as a Family Mediator (currently non-practicing) in March 2015 during a secondment to Resolution to work as a Family Matters Guide. The Family Matters service was introduced for separating parents, to provide them with the support and information they needed to get through their break-up in a way that was best for their family. The service was funded by DWP from April 2013 to September 2015. She is not currently taking on mediation work.
Sofie sits on the Committee for the Thames Valley Family Lawyers’ Society (TVFLS) and is involved in organising training seminars and social events for local family lawyers.
- Providing advice and assistance to clients experiencing serious levels of domestic abuse, including same day Court applications to obtain urgent injunctive relief
- Representing clients on a wide range of children matters including obtaining same day Court Orders to prevent removal of children from the jurisdiction
- Obtaining Decree Absolute of divorce in cases where the respondent's whereabouts are unknown, or the respondent is detained in prison or refusing to cooperate with the process
- Assisting senior colleagues on high net worth financial cases including attendance at Court to support the client and Counsel
- Advising clients on entering into Parenting Agreements to avoid the need for lengthy Court proceedings