We advise a number of NGBs on safeguarding, anti-doping and disciplinary issues, including those for netball, boxing and wrestling.
A member of our team is an accredited UKAD anti-doping adviser and deals with disciplinary issues for a number of NGBs. We are also currently the honorary legal advisor to the North West Counties Squash League (one of the largest squash leagues in the world) where we directly advise the board on all legal matters as well as sitting on its disciplinary panel.
- A number of NGBs – Providing legal support on disciplinary matters to a number of high participation sports governing bodies such as the British Sub-Aqua Club, British American Football Association and the UK Cheerleading Association (where Gateley’s Nick Murrills has been appointed as independent chairman).
- An ice hockey player – Advising on the implementation and interpretation of the International Ice Hockey Federation disciplinary rules.
- A County Championship cricket club – Successfully resolving disputes concerning the release of players to participate in the Indian Premier League, where High Court proceedings had been issued.
- British Universities & Colleges Sport – Advising in relation to an injunction seeking to postpone the commencement of its playing season.
- Olympic-level British sports team – Reviewing the anti-doping regime of one of the British teams competing at Olympic-level and completing a report with recommendations of processes which could be improved; including providing analysis of the organisation’s current anti-doping policies and procedures and recommendations regarding improvements to ensure the sport remains clean.
- A number of NGBs – Advising in relation to safeguarding issues, including delivering training as part of the Sports Recreation Alliance’s Legal Panel Framework Training Day for NGBs, dealing with the relevant IGBs and all manner of commercial agreements and data protection issues, including information requests under the Freedom of Information Act and the provision of an industry applauded GDPR Toolkit.
- Sports clubs (including netball and rugby teams) – Advising on safeguarding and child protection issues.
- JD Sports – Advising on the use of children and associated safeguarding procedures in advertising campaigns.