We have a number of competition law experts within the sports sector team who provide advice across the entire spectrum of competition law, including: anti-competitive agreements, cartels, price fixing, abuse of dominance, dawn raids and merger clearance.
We have been involved in a number of high-profile investigations (including the investigation into price fixing in the replica kit market) and are recognised for our pragmatic approach and ability to demystify what is often regarded as a complex areas of law.
- A Premier League football club – Drafting a Competition Law Compliance Manual for a Premier League football club and providing the associated training for both its legal and commercial teams.
- A Premier League football club – Advising a Premier League football club as to whether its stadium constituted an “essential facility” when assessing whether or not there had been an abuse of dominance.
- Birmingham Sport and Physical Activity Trust – Advising on state aid rules where they were acting as the grant authority for grants to various sporting and social organisations to encourage sporting activity/ events at a grassroots local level and good nutrition. Advising on and amending their grant agreement, assisting with vetting grant applications for state aid purposes.
- Sportswear manufacturer – Advising a sportswear manufacturer in relation to an allegation by a competitor that its refusal to supply was anti-competitive/ constituted an abuse of dominance.
- Nike licensee – Advising a licensee of Nike on the implementation of a selective distribution system that would comply with competition law.
- A Premier League football club – Advising a Premier League football club on the structuring of its relationship with a retailer so that the relationship did not fall foul of competition law.