We have a number of competition law experts within the sports sector team who provide advice across the entire spectrum of competition law, including: anti-competitive agreements, cartels, price fixing, abuse of dominance, dawn raids and merger clearance.
We have been involved in a number of high-profile investigations (including the investigation into price fixing in the replica kit market) and are recognised for our pragmatic approach and ability to demystify what is often regarded as a complex areas of law.
- A Premier League football club – Drafting a Competition Law Compliance Manual for a Premier League football club and providing the associated training for both its legal and commercial teams.
- A Premier League football club – Advising a Premier League football club as to whether its stadium constituted an “essential facility” when assessing whether or not there had been an abuse of dominance.
- Birmingham Sport and Physical Activity Trust – Advising on state aid rules where they were acting as the grant authority for grants to various sporting and social organisations to encourage sporting activity/ events at a grassroots local level and good nutrition. Advising on and amending their grant agreement, assisting with vetting grant applications for state aid purposes.
- Sportswear manufacturer – Advising a sportswear manufacturer in relation to an allegation by a competitor that its refusal to supply was anti-competitive/ constituted an abuse of dominance.
- Nike licensee – Advising a licensee of Nike on the implementation of a selective distribution system that would comply with competition law.
- A Premier League football club – Advising a Premier League football club on the structuring of its relationship with a retailer so that the relationship did not fall foul of competition law.
Proudly supporting the next generation of athletes
Meet the incredible young athletes that we're sponsoring and find out more about SportsAid.