We work with a variety of employers in the sport sector, providing a cradle-to-grave service, assisting at all stages of the employment relationship.
This includes reviewing or, where required, preparing, contracts and policy documents at the outset of the relationship, ensuring that these documents are not only legally compliant but also reflect the culture and values of the organisation whilst simultaneously protecting its commercial interests.
We have extensive experience of managing the range of events that can materialise during the employment relationship, including grievances and the fair but effective management of discipline and intermittent and long-term sickness absence management procedures.
We regularly deliver equal opportunities training to NGBs and other sporting organisations and have designed ‘E-quality’, an interactive training tool for employers on equality and disability discrimination.
- A number of NGBs – Advising in respect of employment tribunal litigation.
- A county sports partnership – The partnership were making the move from a ‘hosted’ arrangement with the local council to a newly-formed charitable venture. Our knowledge of the way in which county sports partnerships operate allowed us to provide tailored advice regarding the potential applicability of the TUPE Regulations and to clearly explain the practical implications of that advice.
- MCFC and the City Football Group (CFG) – Advising on all aspects of employment law and employment relations. We have held this relationship for a number of years and are trusted advisers to the group.
- Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (WWFC) – Advising and supporting WWFC on all aspects of employment law, including advising the HR team on employment relations matters as well as on non-contentious matters surrounding GDPR. Also supporting WWFC in producing and developing their policies and procedures.
- A global media, music and sports business – Advising a household name global business with strong connections in media, music and sport regarding the contractual documentation governing the relationship and employment status (or otherwise) of individuals engaged to provide services as self-employed contractors via personal services companies. Advising regarding the changes to IR35 tax rules and the steps the business needed to take to audit its supply chain and minimise its potential exposure to claims arising as a result of the legislative changes.
- Commonwealth Games England – Members of our team were involved in advising and supporting Commonwealth Games England in preparation for the 2017 Bahamas Youth Games and the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, including the preparation of appropriate Team Member Agreements, Consultancy Agreements and Volunteer Agreements for Team England athletes and support staff participating in the Games.