Our industry-leading commercial experience spans the sports sphere, from football clubs, sports governing bodies, national and international sports organisations to athletes and leading sports brands.
We advise on drafting and negotiating a vast range of commercial agreements, including: the protection and exploitation of image rights, IT contracts, supply chain, merchandising, catering, licensing and sponsorship agreements. We assist sport sector organisations on how best to protect and exploit their valuable intellectual property assets.
Our commercial team have worked on a number of major sports events/ competitions (including London 2012).
We are one of a very small number of recognised sports law firms that are also accredited by the British Franchise Association. Only firms that have significant expertise in franchising will be accredited.
- International Netball Federation – Drafting the hosting agreement for the Netball World Cup 2019 and helping negotiate the associated broadcasting and official equipment/ kit supplier agreements.
- Sports & Recreation Alliance – We are the main legal adviser to the Sport & Recreation Alliance and its 320 members in regards to commercial and intellectual property matters.
- The National Football Museum (NFM) contracts – Drafting and negotiating the high value catering services agreement for the museum and providing advice in respect of TUPE. Also advising on media and social media issues, assisting in formulating the NFM’s social network engagement strategy and advising on the development of their online brand.
- World Academy of Sport (WAOS) – We advise WAOS on a range of matters, including brand licensing agreements, corporate finance and providing the legal element of the training programme they deliver for various governing bodies and athletes. Working closely with WAOS in advising the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in relation to the sponsorship of the 2012 Olympics.
- Ginsters – Advising Ginsters on becoming a lead partner of the English Football League. Also advising on the main shirt sponsor agreement with Plymouth Argyle and on its sponsorship of the Brownlee Brothers.
- Everton Football Club (EFC) – Advising the legal and commercial team at EFC on all commercial deals, including drafting the SportPesa main partner and shirt sponsor agreement and the USM Finch Farm training complex naming rights agreements (deals resulting in a £75m increase in commercial income for the Club). Other partnerships we have negotiated include: with Sure Deodorant, Football Manager, Stubhub, Gatorade, Davanti Tyres, Coors Beer, William Hill, Sony Pictures, event management of the Tony Bellew world title fight and EFC’s first ever sleeve sponsorship deal with Angry Birds.
- Manchester City Football Club (MCFC) – We have been one of MCFC’s main legal advisers for many years. Our intellectual property work includes advising MCFC on the creation of a new club badge and on the licensing of the CFG brands as part of the 50:50 joint venture with Goals Soccer Centres Plc.
- ADI perimeter advertising – Drafting LED perimeter advertising, equipment supply and maintenance agreements between ADI and a number of football clubs. Also advising on the intellectual property implications in relation to the implementation of ADI’s revolutionary new virtual hybrid technology system.
- North Sails – Advising North Sails, the international sailmaker, on its sponsorship of the Volvo Ocean Race.
- Crep Protect – Advising Crep on its licensing agreements with the NBA and other sports bodies and sportswear manufacturers.
- A leading sportswear brand – Advising on logistics and warehousing contracts for a leading sportswear brand.
- Brighton and Hove Albion FC – Advising Brighton and Hove Albion FC on its commercial partnerships.
- Football clubs – Advising a number of football clubs (including MCFC) on the international franchising of football schools.
- World Academy of Sport – Advising on the franchising of its student training programme.
- Sweaty Mama Ltd – Advising Sweaty Mama on the franchising of their unique mother and baby fitness training programme since the business launched. They now have over 100 franchises.