We have vast experience advising on regulatory issues across the whole asset management sector. In particular, we focus on regulatory impacts for private fund managers and other industry participants in the alternative asset space.
Unlike many other legal practices, our funds practitioners are also regulatory experts. This allows us to deliver regulatory advice and solutions that we know will work in the private funds space.
What do we do?
In particular, we advise on:
- EU fund regulatory and marketing regimes, including:
- Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD)
- European Venture Capital Funds Regulation (EuVECA)
- European Long-Term Investment Funds Regulation (ELTIF)
- Cross-Border Marketing Rules etc.
- UK fund regulatory and marketing regimes, including:
- Alternative Investment Fund Managers Regulation (AIFMR)
- Registered Venture Capital Fund Regulation (RVECA)
- Collective Investment Scheme regime (CIS)
- Financial Promotions Order (FPO) etc.
- Regulatory impacts on transactions, including:
- Advising fund managers on regulatory compliance applicable to transactions such as portfolio company and asset stripping rules
- Identifying regulatory issues within fund or portfolio structures
- Acquisitions of regulated businesses, including:
- Corporate support and regulatory due diligence
- Change of control processes
- Regulatory perimeter and licensing issues, including:
- Regulatory interpretation and opinions on AIF and CIS status of pooling vehicles
- Various exemptions available to fund sponsors under relevant regulatory and marketing regimes
- Authorisation and registration processes – for fund managers, investment advisers and service providers in key fund jurisdictions e.g. the UK, Luxembourg, United States, Switzerland, etc.
- Compliance systems and risk frameworks
- Risk-based and legal due diligence on regulated businesses
- Global marketing and regulatory surveys
- Global marketing, licensing and registration
- Service provider agreements
Who do we help?
- International private equity fund sponsors seeking specialised funds regulatory and compliance advice
- Global real estate asset managers seeking specialised funds regulatory and compliance advice
- Venture capital managers
- Infrastructure and other real asset fund managers
- Traditional retail asset managers
- Start-up fund managers and corporate finance advisers working on a deal-by-deal basis
- Placement agents, introducers and distributors
- Fund service providers (e.g. third-party AIFMs, regulatory hosts, depositaries, administrators etc.)
- Fintechs and other new Financial Services businesses
- Other legal and consulting firms that require discreet specialised advice on fund regulatory matters