Accurate, well-drafted pension scheme documentation is essential.
Operating an occupational pension scheme takes a complex mix of case law, statute, revenue practice and regulatory requirements. But the importance of pension scheme documentation is hard to overestimate.
What do we do?
Trustees must administer their scheme in accordance with its rules and the majority of court cases involving pensions schemes relate to the interpretation of the particular scheme’s rules or historic drafting errors.
Trustees also have a legal obligation to have a good working knowledge of the scheme documentation which means keeping the rules up-to-date and user-friendly whilst ensuring that they accurately reflect the parties’ intentions.
That’s why our experts make sure that everything is in order, using their expertise in drafting all kinds of pension scheme documentation. We pride ourselves on producing clear, easy to use documents that will assist trustees and employers on a day-to-day basis.
Our pension scheme documentation services include:
- new pension scheme documentation
- consolidating previous scheme documents into new and up-to-date documents
- drafting rule amendments including scheme closures and introducing new benefit structures
- documentation for changing the trustees or other parties to the scheme
- literature for members including scheme booklets and announcements
- trustee policies and procedures (e.g. conflicts of interest policies, member-nominated trustee processes and dispute resolution procedures)
- drafting a wide range of other scheme-related documents including merger deeds and contingent asset documentation.
The Gateley pensions team is very good at seeing things through the eyes of trustees having a very successful independent professional trustee practice.
Who do we help?
We help trustees and employers of all sizes and types of scheme with their pension scheme documentation.