James is an expert in landlord and tenant law. He leads a team of lawyers who specialise in advising businesses in relation leasing, managing and disposing of commercial property.
James specialises in the retail sector, advising a number of national retailers on their store portfolios. James has acted for numerous household names in the sector during his career. He also spent 10 years as a member of the property committee of one national retailer, reporting monthly to the main board on property matters.
James has also substantial experience of dealing with office lettings, advising both landlords and tenants on new lease arrangements. His work has included advising on lettings of office space in the City of London as well as regional head office facilities for retailers, professional services firms and national housebuilders.
In addition, James works with businesses in the industrial, manufacturing and logistics sectors advising on land acquisitions as well as sale and leaseback transactions.
How do you help clients?
I help clients to manage their property portfolios by advising on all aspects of the landlord & tenant relationship from leasing new buildings to developing, altering and disposing of premises.
I also advise on strategic projects including office relocations, sale and leaseback transactions and the re-gearing existing lease arrangements.
- Advising numerous retailers on property matters relating to high street, shopping centre and out of town retail park destinations including B&Q, Dunelm, Aldi, Vodafone, Starbucks, Claire’s Accessories and The Works Bookshops.
- Acting for Watches of Switzerland since 2007 on its entire property portfolio, including advising on the development and letting of its flagship store comprising 16,000 sq. ft. of prime retail space on Regent St in London’s West End.
- Advising GO Outdoors on all aspects of the company’s store acquisition programme, together with dealing with the property aspects of the sale of the company to JD Sports.
- Acting for global sportswear brand Gymshark on the letting of a new head office comprising 42,408 sq. ft. of refurbished category “A” office space.
- Advising West Ham United Football club on the property aspects of the club’s relocation to the Olympic Stadium.