James is an expert in advising lenders in all aspects of banking and asset finance litigation, and has particular expertise in advising on matters such as fraud, international cross-border recoveries, title disputes, quality disputes, consumer credit litigation and collections consultancy.
He regularly advises lenders on and obtains injunctive relief including freezing orders and mandatory delivery up orders and is known for his pragmatic commercial legal advice and strategy in often complex cases.
Gateley were awarded the Leasing World 2019 award in the "Top Asset Finance Litigation Lawyers" category.
Gateley were again awarded with the Leasing World 2022 awards for the "Top Asset Finance Law firm of the Year".
- Advising on the recovery of high value vehicles from Antwerp docks prior to trans-shipment to Hong Kong following seeking and obtaining without notice injunction and related orders.
- Advising on the recovery of a high value vehicle in Stockholm and seizure of the debtor’s passport.
- Advising on the recovery of a high value vehicle in Marbella following seeking and obtaining without notice injunctions and related orders.
- Taking action in the USA in various states against a US auction house for selling finance house’s construction plant.
- Advising on the repossession of property used as diplomatic premises in the UK by a foreign state and suing the solicitors originally instructed on the transaction for negligence.