Andrew heads the national Employment, Pensions and Private Client Group which encompasses specialists in employment law, pensions, immigration and global mobility.
He has specialised in employment law for over 25 years and provides strategic and commercial legal advice on the full range of employment law issues with a particular focus on restructuring, redundancies, industrial relations, senior executive issues, complex disciplinary and grievance matters and employment tribunal litigation.
He has a particular interest in the employment aspects of insolvency, and regularly advises directors and insolvency practitioners on strategic and operational issues.
His particular strength is his understanding of complex areas of employment law coupled with his ability to assess risk and offer commercially sensible advice in plain English.
Andrew is also a director of another Gateley group company, Kiddy & Partners, who are a global firm of business psychologists who specialise in Assessment and Talent Management, Leadership Development and Board Effectiveness.
How do you help clients?
My approach is to make things simpler rather than more complicated. I believe in getting my clients where they want to be with the minimum of fuss and as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
- Helping employers manage day-to-day HR issues quickly and efficiently
- Working with employers to restructure their workforce
- Empowering employers to deal with difficult employees
- Managing employment tribunal litigation and resolving disputes
- Preventing departing or former employees from damaging clients' businesses
- The design and delivery of training for HR teams and managers
- Enabling departing senior executives to maximise their severance terms on exit.
- Retained by the Restructuring Services team of a “Big Four" accounting firm to advise on the employment law aspects of restructuring and insolvency.
- Advising a retail sector client on a restructuring exercise involving both redundancy and the cross border application of TUPE.
- Undertaking an investigation for a high profile sport’s governing body in relation to allegations made under its whistle blowing policy.
- Defending a manufacturing sector client in respect of an employment tribunal class action brought by over 450 claimants.
- Acting for senior executives on exit in relation to settlement agreements, often involving sums in excess of £1m.