Amira handles both contentious and non-contentious construction matters, advising on a wide range of building and engineering disputes relating to payment, claims for variations, extensions of time, loss and expense and professional negligence.
Amira acts for housebuilders, developers, funders and end user occupiers as well as on behalf of main contractors, consultants and specialist sub-contractors.
She provides legal and strategic advice during the lifetime of a project, including advice on procurement, structuring, drafting and negotiating contracts, supporting projects as they proceed and dealing with any disputes which arise whether by way of negotiation, mediation, arbitration, adjudication or litigation.
Amira worked in-house on secondment from Gateley in Dubai, UAE for a designer and developer client providing procurement advice and drafting and negotiating contracts on behalf of the company for the development of a theme park valued at $400m.
How do you help clients?
I provide commercial legal advice to the property and development sector within the construction industry. I view myself as an extension to the client’s team and I work with my clients to help them to achieve their commercial objectives as quickly and efficiently as possible.
I enjoy working with clients and their professional teams to successfully deliver new schemes. Our clients are ambitious and creative and I am privileged to be involved in several high profile projects both locally and nationally.
On the disputes side, my goal is to resolve issues economically and effectively. I help clients to pursue and defend claims legally without losing sight of my client's commercial objectives and budget. My in-depth knowledge and experience allows me to identify the salient issues and devise a strategy suitable for the individual client rather than adopting a formulaic approach to dispute resolution. It is personally rewarding for me when I win at adjudication and/or settle claims on favourable terms on behalf of my clients.
I help clients to:
- identify the most suitable procurement strategy depending on the nature and complexity of the construction works involved and assist with the structure and preparation of construction contracts and ancillary documents
- think about the wider picture when considering risk allocation within the construction contracts by sharing my experience and knowledge of actual disputes arising out of such agreements
- minimise or manage risk during negotiations of construction contracts
- preserve relationships during disputes where an ongoing relationship is required
- select the best experts to assist with experts reports to advise on technical matters and quantum
- identify opportunities by bringing clients and contacts together
- consider matters objectively with the best interests of the client in mind to avoid incurring disproportionate costs
- Acting on behalf of a developer regarding a claim against an M&E consultant for defective works arising out of mechanical and electrical works to student accommodation blocks comprising over 400 apartments. The claim was resolved soon after court proceedings were commenced on terms favourable to the client. Remedial works were successfully completed at no extra cost to the client.
- Advising a car manufacturer on the extensive redevelopment of its Gaydon site with three major £100m plus office design, research and testing facilities under procurement.
- Advising a developer/investor based in the Middle East on the development of a £45m high-end lifestyle boutique hotel in Shoreditch, London. The investment was undertaken by BVI registered companies and provision was required to be made throughout the construction documents for the anticipated provision of bank debt funding throughout the project.
- Acting on behalf of an engineering company on the £45m expansion of a creamery in Cornwall involving a dispute over defective screed and resin flooring at the factory.
- Acting on behalf of a major developer in arbitration proceedings in connection with delay claims relating to the construction of two condominiums buildings, residential units and hotel rooms at Palm Jumeirah Crescent, Dubai. Claim valued at AED126m.