Caroline has a particular specialism in media and defamation law having completed her training at Gateley Tweed.
She provides bespoke specialist advice to both global and local clients on all aspects of media law, to include, pre/post publication advice; reputation and crisis management; defamation; harassment; cyber security; privacy; copyright; data protection breaches and other associated media regulatory issues.
Caroline is qualified to act in the jurisdictions of Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and England and Wales.
How do you help clients?
I help clients navigate the complex world of data protection, privacy law and defamation, with particular emphasis on protecting clients from the threat of, and taking action to remedy, online transgressions as well as challenging, through litigation if necessary, the largely unregulated activity of social media giants whose European headquarters are in Ireland.
My aim is always to provide innovate and effective solutions to effectively protect clients’ reputation and commercial interests.
- Working in collaboration with colleagues representing an international aviation company in High Court proceedings against a social media company for injunctive relief and damages arising from defamatory publication and privacy breaches.
- Advising a range of clients from politicians and celebrities in relation to their data protection rights under the DPA and GDPR; securing the removal of damaging content in accordance with clients’ ‘right to be forgotten’.
- Advising high-profile clients in relation to claims of malicious falsehood and defamation proceedings against a social media corporation arising out of the publication of ‘dark ads’.
- Providing news organisations with pre-publication and post-publication advice and GDPR support.
- Working in collaboration with colleagues acting for a high-profile individual and multinational corporation in respect of multi-jurisdictional defamation proceedings taken against a US-based media news outlet for the publication of libellous content.