James commonly acts in complex breach of contract claims, shareholder disputes, contentious trust and probate matters, High Court employment actions, and professional negligence claims.
James’ experience is based on work for public and private companies, professional associations, high net worth individuals, estate executors, and insolvency practitioners.
He has significant experience of injunction applications and trial work, whilst his practice encompasses litigation in the County Court, High Court and the Court of Appeal, often with a cross-border element. He has successfully used mediation on many occasions as an alternative and cost-effective means of resolving disputes.
James recognises the importance of a determined, analytical and efficient approach to managing complicated cases from their inception through to a favourable, commercial outcome.
He is adept at advising on whether court proceedings (including by the use of injunction applications) or a combination of alternative procedures, such as mediation, are the best means of achieving the desired objective across the broad spectrum of potential business disputes.
- Advising on the resolution of a professional negligence claim for the recovery of substantial losses arising from offshore investments being lost in major Ponzi scheme.
- Achieving settlement following an eight day trial of a shareholder dispute arising from the termination of a joint venture.
- Acting for three companies and their liquidator in successfully pursuing claims for conspiracy, dishonest assistance and fraudulent trading against individuals and companies engaged in missing trader intra community fraud.
- Acting for an executor beneficiary of a substantial estate defending a claim for the treatment of his commercial property as part of the estate for the purposes of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Acting for an NHS consultant to successfully secure his return to work following exclusion based on an alleged breakdown of working relationships.