- Location: Manchester
- Email: Richard White
- Direct Telephone: +44 (0) 161 836 7846
- Mobile: +44 (0) 749 671 6452
- The law of principal and surety.
- Transactional and litigation work relating to surety and guarantee.
- Restructuring and insolvency. Commercial and construction disputes.
- Drafting recourse agreements and transactional documents for credit and surety transactions.
Richard has conducted of a number of leading cases in relation to Surety (Mystery of Mercers of the City of London v New Hampshire Insurance, Perar BVv General Surety & Guarantee, Trafalgar House Constructions (Regions) Limited V General Surety& Guarantee). He has also advised on major corporate restructurings since 1985 and on global and cross border surety transactions, including joint venture structures. Richard was global head of technical underwriting for Zurich’s Credit and Surety business between 2013 and 2017.
- Successful outcomes for major disputes acting on behalf of sureties and insurers.
- Negotiating successful restructuring arrangements for insurers in relation to credit exposures to distressed corporates.
- Drafting the standard ABI guarantee bond and explanatory notes (widely used).
- Drafting comprehensive recourse/indemnity documentation for insurers incorporating structures and covenants now widely used across the surety industry.
Interests include sport (football, tennis and skiing), classical music and opera, reading, philosophy, history and natural history, theatre, art and travel.