James advises on both contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters. His particular specialism concerns litigation arising in the context of insolvency, civil fraud and professional liability. James acts for a wide variety of clients including directors, investors and insolvency practitioners.
James is highly regarded for his detailed forensic ability on complex cases and is increasingly instructed concerning cross-border claims or litigation for offshore clients whose claims have a nexus to the UK.
He has acted in relation to a number of notable successes including the reported decision in Angelmist Properties Limited  EWHC 1858 (CH). Since qualification James has handled cases resulting in actual recoveries for clients exceeding £50m.
- Advising insolvency practitioners in relation to complex technical issues and the full range of office-holder claims under the Insolvency Act 1986, including misfeasance, wrongful trading and antecedent transactions.
- Forensically investigating and pursuing high-value and cross-border claims concerning breach of duty, civil fraud and failed tax avoidance schemes.
- Defending insolvency practitioners against a variety of liability claims.
- Pursuing insolvency and debt recovery proceedings against high-profile companies and individuals.
- Successfully pursuing substantial professional negligence and accessory liability claims against professional officeholders and advisors.