Simon is a Chartered UK Patent Attorney, a European Patent Attorney, and a Chartered UK Trade Mark Attorney. Simon is also the Managing Director of Adamson Jones, leading its professional and administrative functions.
Simon has a technical background in physics and his patent practice covers a wide range of different technologies, but with a particular focus on medical devices, electronics, and consumer products.
Simon files and prosecutes patent applications in the UK and Europe, as well as overseas through a network of trusted associates around the world. Simon builds robust patent portfolios for valuable products and technology. He also has considerable experience of patent searching and freedom-to-operate opinions, including the provision of advice on the scope and validity of the patents of clients' competitors, as well as contentious matters, including oppositions at the European Patent Office.
Simon has particular expertise in navigating complex patent landscapes, such as in the medical devices sector, including guiding product development and challenging competitor patents to avoid patent infringement.
Simon also files and prosecutes registered trade mark and registered design applications, and handles associated clearance opinions, trade mark oppositions and co-existence agreements.
How do you help clients
I obtain patents, registered designs, and registered trade marks for clients, and advise in relation to the scope and validity of those rights and the rights of competitors. I work for a wide range of clients, including innovative manufacturers, high-growth start-ups, spin-out companies, and research organisations, including universities.
Simon provides ongoing advice during research and development projects regarding competitor patents and options for patent protection, guiding product development and challenging competitor patents where appropriate, and filing patent applications in respect of technical developments.
Simon is highly skilled at prosecuting patent applications through to grant and obtaining enforceable patent protection for his clients’ technology. Simon also provides detailed strategies for maximising the commercial impact of clients’ patent portfolios, particularly for highly valuable technology.
- Assisting a leading manufacturer of respiratory equipment in building their in-house IP management function, navigating competitor patents, and creating an extensive patent portfolio around the company’s product range.
- Obtaining multiple patents for a UK university related to semiconductor technology, which are now licensed and generating income.
- Successfully opposing a European patent of a multinational pharmaceutical company, clearing the way for a UK inhaler company's product development.
- Building a portfolio of patents and registered designs for a successful UK photographic accessories manufacturer, enabling enforcement action against infringing imports.
- Obtaining UK and overseas patents for a bicycle wheel designer, which were then licensed to a leading US bicycle component manufacturer.
- Advising a UK medical devices company in respect of their development of inhaler technology, in particular to avoid infringement of numerous patents, which resulted in a licensing deal with a multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Obtaining European patents for a US company relating to microfluidic apparatus and Lab-on-a-Chip devices.
- Preparing patent freedom-to-operate opinions for a leading UK healthcare retailer and manufacturer.